Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Week 1: Grading the Bucks--Navy

Take a deep breath everyone. It's going to be ok.  There are FAR too many people jumping off the deep end concerning a slow start against Navy.  I know I'm a homer, but I saw far more positives than negatives in that game.  Also, the defense is built to stop all of the other opponents on our schedule.  The option provides little information.

Offense: B
This could (and should have been higher), but the coaches insisted on taking it easy on the freshman early.  I think it was apparent that treating JT with kids' gloves was a mistake.  When they opened up the playbook, he became much more comfortable and looks better throwing the ball than Braxton.  Yes, the interception was a horrible freshman blunder, but it happens--great teaching moment.  I've been on record disliking Tom Herman's offense with all the read options and lack of a consistent downfield passing game, but he's going to need to change a bit.  The threats are too good and Barrett can hit them in stride.  Zeke wasn't showcased as much as I expected, but Samuel looked fantastic.  Overall, I would have liked/expected more points, but Barrett appeared forced into 'don't screw it up' mode in the first half.  Once the trust was shown, he shined.  The only area of concern was a little chink in the O-line that was beastly last year.  They'll improve, but it will take time. 

Defense: B
I honestly take very little (information) defensively from this game.  The adjustments at half were tremendous as someone actually covered the pitch man as the game progressed, but we won't face this offense again.  Darron Lee looked really good and I expect more great things from him.  The secondary wasn't tested at all and the line couldn't play to their strengths.  Bennett was a handful up front and Bosa consistently hit the QB.  There were still some missed tackles which brought back nightmares of last year, but I'm hoping that was first game jitters.  We'll learn a lot more about this unit this upcoming week.

Special Teams: A
The freshman kicker looked excellent calmly drilling a 45 yarder to get things going.  More impressive was the always steady Cameron Johnston booming ridiculous punts (58+ yarder in the air touchback?!?)  If Urban needs to punt, he's gonna feel pretty good with Johnston.  The return game looked pretty good too with some sizzle from Wilson.  Expect him to take one to the house soon.

Coaching: B
I appears that my pleas have yet again fallen on deaf ears...on 4th and a foot--SNEAK THE BALL!!  I have no idea why a quarterback in any system is not taught how to take a snap from under center. This also follows from my disbelief that a simple dive play or iso has been removed from the play book.  Screens are nice...to mix things up, but nothing wrong with a quick slant or traditional route.  I'm ok with the aggressive playcalling (i.e., going for 4th down), but I think the plays called in those situations need some review.

Overall: B+
Navy is the worst program to schedule, but the Buckeyes got through it.  Don't let the talking heads at ESPiN confuse you: Navy won 9 games last year and was a far bigger challenge than some of the other marquee matchups.  Nowhere near FSU/Oklahoma State, LSU?Wisconsin, or Clemson/UGA, but Navy is better than West Virginia...ask Hoying to show the results of media bias.  Credit to the academy for a tough game.  More credit to OSU for growing up quite a bit offensively in 60 minutes.  I'm truly excited to see what this team will bring in the future.  Lots of talent, but that's only part of the equation.  Expectations don't change much for me after the Braxton injury.  Most likely scenario is 10-2 (loss @MSU and vs. someone who shouldn't beat us), but I'd be far more surprised with 9-3 than I would with 12-0.  Go Bucks! 

No comments: