Monday, October 27, 2014

Grading the Bucks: Week 9--Penn State

Yikes.  That was WAY too close for comfort.  Don't let the name fool you, these aren't your grandfather's Nittany Lions.  The offense had issues but there were some bright spots on the other side of the ball.

Offense: C-
J.T. didn't overcome his earlier yips on the road until OT arrived.  PSU's defense is pretty good, but we made them look like the freaking '85 Bears.  The running game seemed to work early on, but the coaches inexplicably went away from it in the second half (see the coaching section).  Overall, I'd grade the running game as a solid B, but the QB play was not close to what we've been seeing.  I'm pretty sure the environment got to JT and kept that indecision front and center (those picks were just terrible).  Give credit to the offense for stepping up in overtime.  Barrett took charge with a gimpy leg and made it happen.  O-line needs to sharpen up but Zeke had a great day.

Defense: B+
Three words: Joey M-Fing Bosa.  To be honest, I toyed with giving them an A- but the last drive was enough to lower to a B+.  I thought the defense played one of, if not the, most complete game of the year.  They gave up 10 in regulation to a decent QB and the TD was following a bad turnover (if memory serves).   While my co-author probably disagrees, I thought the overactive blitzing was a bit much when the D-line was getting pressure, but potato, po-tah-toe.  The D line was fantastic harassing Hackenburg.  Yes, the Vonn Bell interception was total garbage...get lucky but great effort.  The TD where Apple didn't look back was an incredible play.  He should have located the ball, but after the defensive effort, I'm ok with it.  Next time, catch the interceptions that hit you in the hands and we'll win by 14.  Oh yeah, did I mention Joey M-Fing Bosa? Who else sacks QBs with opposing RBs?

Special Teams: B+
Punter...good.  Kicker...good day (credit for that 49 yarder).  Return game...eh...too adventurous for my taste.  I feel like I'm watching Ray Small where I have to hold my breath for stupid on every kick.  Coverage has been pretty good, but I don't trust Marshall with the keys to the car.  Cameron Johnston, when on, is the best punter in America.

Coaching: C
Tom Herman...I get the point of a game plan, but if you plan isn't working and another is...STICK WITH WHAT WORKS!  The moment clearly was a little too much for the banged up Barrett.  Zeke ran with a purpose in the 1st half, but the run was abandoned in the 2nd because the 'goal was to set up the pass in the second half'.  Excuse me, Ray...your QB had an off day. Adjust to the situation.  Halftime adjustments are called that for a reason.  They aren't scripted.  The coaching staff needs to read the room and make appropriate adjustments when the situation calls for it.  Defensively, the aggressive playcalling was working for the most part, but I surprised at the all out blitz on the goalline (I think a 4-5 man rush would have gotten the safety the way the line was playing).  Either way, I think the defensive coaches were pretty good throughout.

Overall: C+
A conference road win nice, but not enough for this team.  They need to impress and this was not an impressive win.  Every team needs a gut-check win here or there, so credit to surviving, but there is work to be down.  The positive is great defensive improvement in my opinion, but the regression by the offense is disturbing.  Time to straighten up and prepare for another big road test on Nov. 8th...Yeah yeah, Illinois... I know I know...(just don't care).

No comments: