Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Grading the Bucks: Week 1 -- Bowling Green

It's fun when the team runs the touchdown play....repeatedly.  A fantastic start to the season, but I'm too crotchety to be lenient.

Offense: A-
"77 points?!?! And you give an A- MINUS!?!"  I'm sorry, but I can't go full A when I saw one of (if not the worst) passes I've ever seen in my life.  The pick 6 was underthrown to a blanket receiver with ANOTHER defender sneaking around.  The 4th and 2 through was also bad, but let's focus on the positive.  There was a TON of stuff I loved seeing.  For me, the O-line was the star.  With only two returning starters and immense youth, not giving up a tackle for loss, let alone a sack, is an amazing stat.  JT was upright and firing all game; breaking school records left and right.  The number 2 bright spot was Mike Weber who was fantastic with his vision and power.  I was concerned about running back after Zeke left, but I'm feeling better already.  Finally, the receiver play was solid.  Curtis Samuel was used correctly which leads me to be excited about the future.

Defense: A-
I really wanted to give an A, but the pressure up front was a little lacking for me.  I know the defensive scheme was to prevent the big play which leads to a more conservative approach so I'm not too upset.  The defensive backfield had a few hiccups and miscues, but nothing super problematic.  Malik Hooker made one of the best interceptions you'll see all year, but the underneath slant routes against linebackers is something to improve on.  I feel terrible for Tracy Sprinkle but that line is going to need to step up and fill the gap.  That youthful line will be forced to grow up fast, but Sam Hubbard has already shown plenty of spark.  Again, I'm very happy with what I see thus far.

Special Teams: A-
Nothing special to comment on here.  11/11 on PATs (I like that).  No kickoffs out of bounds (YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!).  The one downgrade was Wilson attempting to field that punt over the shoulder while running backward....woof.  Bad, Dontre...don't be Jalin Marshall, Ray Small, etc.

Coaching: A-
Coaching is easy in this type of game...usually.  I thought the offensive gameplan was fantastic, with the lone exception being that I'd have liked to see a bit more Mike Weber.  At 4th and 2, I think I'd have preferred Urban kick the field goal, not because it is the correct call, but because I'd like to see the kicker in a live game.  That being said, if you go for it, give it to Weber and let the kid fight for it.  Defensively, the conservative gameplan was a bit boring, but definitely got the job done so kudos.

Overall: A-
Not a ton of holes to work on, but not a perfect game (although very close).  It's nice to start with a game without more answers than questions.  Lots of youth, but no question about the amount of talent.  On to the next one.

No comments: