Monday, October 05, 2015

Grading the Bucks: Week 5--Indiana

Is this the new normal?

Offense (no Zeke): D- / Zeke: A
This offense just isn't clicking.  I'm petrified that we saw this week that the coaches don't trust the starting quarterback to throw a pass.  Cardale seems to be unable to go through his progressions and when he sees a receiver open, he fires it 100 mph and misses the receiver.  Zeke has been fantastic even when the entire defense knows he's coming (couldn't get going because IU had 10 people in the box every play).  Receiver play was eh as was the O-line.  O-line opened some holes for Zeke and protected fairly well.  Also, it needs to be said.  Jalin Marshall is a liability.  He has some flash and dash, but the crushing turnovers and overall stupid play is taking it's toll.  To his credit, he blocked very well, but the turnovers... Say what you will, but I believe QB and WR are the issues. Cardale's final stats weren't terrible, but based on what I saw, he wasn't up to acceptable standards.  I know I'm completely blinded by JT's greatness...but he needs to be there.  I want a leader than can play the mental game.  Cardale is not playing the mental game.

Defense: C-
Penalties are killing us.  This defense has been solid all year but they disappointed me this week.  Look no further than the long run by Diamont.  Tyvis Powell absolutely layed an egg by taking the worst angle a safety has ever taken.  Apple continues to get picked on (even though he sealed the win on the final play).  Bell had a so-so game (not like his solid games of the recent past). The front seven was actually pretty good, but the big plays can't happen.  Glad to see Perry and McMillan stop the leading rusher in the conference. Early in the game, there was a huge miscommunication that can't happen on a long pass to a receiver.  Too sloppy for me.

Special Teams: B+
Nothing special.  Some nice punts and punt coverage.  Dropping the ball into the endzone on the punt was a huge swing that can't happen.  Overall...another mediocre performance (which I'm fine with).  They didn't cost us anything which is a win in my Special Teams book.

Coaching: D
Play calling is still an absolute joke.  Know your personnel when formulating a gameplan.  I'm not a 'give it to Zeke on every play' guy, but I support more north south running with Zeke and more short quick hitter passes (which don't seem to be in the playbook).  I'm also a fan (especially against the 126th ranked pass defense in the nation) of a few chuck it up and let your receiver go get it...you know the entire offense during the playoff for Cardale.  Yes, Devin Smith is gone, but even an arm punt isn't terrible at times when there's the chance of a homerun.  I don't think we threw a single deep bomb all game.  THAT'S WHAT CARDALE'S STRENGTH IS!!

Overall: D+
Maybe Indiana is secret good.  Maybe not.  Doesn't matter to me.  This Buckeye team can't roll it out there like that and hope to win every game.  You're either getting better or getting worse...and I don't see us getting better.  Next week is definitely good for what ails you in Maryland.  They are butt, and we must expose them for what they are (hehe).  JT, I love you.  Come back to us...

No comments: