Monday, November 03, 2014

Grading the Bucks: Week 10 - Illinois

Another game...another yaaaawwwwnnn.

Offense: B
Let's be clear: Illinois sucks.  While the Bucks indeed put up a ton of points, the offense wasn't as crisp as I would like (especially early).  I know I'm super tough here, but the Illini are so terrible, there is a high bar set.  JT threw some nice balls, but missed some easy ones as well.  No room for error next week.  Also, the complacency late was disappointing.  You only play football in college for 4 years, so might as well make it count.  Blowout game? Doesn't matter to me. Too much screwing around that just doesn't work against good teams.  One other thing, for all the 4th downs we're going for, we aren't converting.  I never thought I'd miss the Dave play or Tresselball.  I'm ok with the aggressive playcalling, but not the dumb playcalling.  If you want to go on 4th and 1, man up and hit em in the mouth. O-line play was good but the competition ramps up a ton next week.  Also, Cardale had the best tackle/hit of the week, so there's that.

Defense: A-
Still like the progression I'm seeing in this unit.  The linebackers are getting better every week (albeit against garbage).  McMilllan, Lee, and even Grant and Perry are playing some good football.  Joey Bosa is still a man possessed but I'd like a little more pressure from the other big men.  Bosa is attracting a lot of attention so the others (Washington, Miller, and Bennett) need to make a bigger splash on the stat sheet. I still need more fire out of this unit when the game's in hand.  The game is over, but the team didn't show much desire to preserve the shutout.  I want my defense to be bloodthirsty and angry when they give up points, no matter the score.  I want Chris Spielman to infuse these kids with killer instinct and desire to achieve perfection.

Special Teams: B
Nuremberger was fairly solid, but Urban shows that he doesn't really trust him...or just refuses to give him chances.  My memory just isn't good enough to remember the intricacies of special teams (no a 13 second block doesn't intrigue me).  Cameron Johnston is still good.  This unit has to be flawless next week.  That opening kickoff though....woof.  Bury it deep.

Coaching: C
Tressel is turning in his grave (if he was dead).  Going for it every 4th down with dumb play calls?!? It's ok to punt.  It's ok to kick field goals.  Hopefully this was just to give more for MSU to look at (although it didn't seem to phase them last year).  Aggressive: Good; Stupid: bad.  Let's just hope they learned their lesson and GIVE IT TO HYDE!! (er.....a.....Elliot)

Overall: B 
51-14 and I give a B?!? Look at the competition.  I want perfection.  I want swagger.  I want a team with pride to never yield an inch.  This team was a little loose as the game went on.  Play until zeros.  No....Quarter...


Bring on the Spartans!

No comments: