Sunday, October 04, 2009

Draper Index Rankings Post Week 5

This is the inaugural post of my top 25 computer rankings. For those who don't know, I created a computer rankings designed to mirror the BCS in 2001. Since it's inception, I have correctly picked the National Title contenders in 7 of the 8 years and usually all but maybe 1 BCS team are in the top 10--not counting conference champion squeakers. The rankings have some flaws for sure, but I like what I'm seeing now. Again, these rankings are meant to 'predict' the BCS, not necessarily pick the best team (although it's a pretty good metric). The rankings are based on win/loss, strength of team played when they played, and margin of victory (capped at 21). This is a barebones explanation so if you're interested in more explanation, let me know.

Top 25: Draper Index
1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. USC
5. LSU
6. Boise State
7. Cincinnati
8. Oregon
9. Ohio State
10. Virginia Tech
11. Iowa
12. Georgia
13. Missouri
14. TCU
15. BYU
16. Auburn
17. Utah
18. Wisconsin
19. Penn State
20. Georgia Tech
21. Oklahoma
22. USF
23. Boston College
24. Kansas
25. Miami (FL)

No comments: