Sunday, September 19, 2010

Random thoughts (week 3)

I needed to say a few things about this weekend and I didn't know where to put them.
1) Why do I listen to others and not my gut?
I had Arizona over Iowa all year, but I heard some good points about the Arizona OLine and their collapse vs. Neb in the Holiday Bowl which swayed me. I need to learn to go with my gut. I had Arizona at 2 in the Pac 10 (behind Stanford or tied) and I knew this would be a heck of a game.
2) Mark Dantonio's call was not that gutsy...in fact, it was the right call
Before the sack on 3rd down, the kick was absolutely the correct call. Always go to 2OT when you have a chip shot and you're at home. When Cousins was sacked, the FG went from a chip shot to shaky range. The kicker was young, the kick was long, and the situation was ripe for a fake. I give the man credit for making the call, but it wasn't that big of a stretch. No one blames the coach (rightfully so) when the kicker misses the kick (cough...Clemson). It was the right call any way you spin it. Hats off to Sparty!

No comments: